Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Reporting Someone Who Should Not Be Driving A Car

How can I report someone who shouldn't be driving?

This is a common question asked by people with family or friends that have displayed diminished driving skills due to physical or mental impairment caused by advancing age, medical, or vision problems.

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) can require a driver licensed in Ohio to submit a medical statement and/or take an examination if they receive information that gives "good cause to believe" that the driver is incompetent or incapable of driving safely. 

To request that the BMV require a driver to be re-certified, submit a written and signed request to:

Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Attention: Driver License Special Case Section/Medical Unit.
P.O. Box 16784
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6784

The request may also be faxed attention to "Medical Unit" to (614) 752-7271. The letter should include a release allowing the BMV to use the your name as their source of information.

The BMV will conduct an investigation to determine if there is sufficient cause to require a medical statement or a driver license examination. If it finds sufficient cause, the BMV will advise the driver that they have received your request and take action.

For more information, visit the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Driver License FAQ page.

Taps Elder Law provides Estate and Medicaid planning services to clients in the Central Ohio area.  If you have a family member that is displaying diminished capacity, it is critical for them to update their financial power of attorney, will or trust, and health care documents.  Call us today at (614) 453-5208. Visit our website for more information on estate planning in Columbus, Ohio..

Post a Comment