Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

National Record Service, Inc. Deed Service

Letter from National Record Service, Inc.
If you've received a letter like this one from National Record Service, Inc., don't send in your payment before considering the fact that you can probably get a copy of your deed for free - or much less than the $59.50 that National Record Service charges.

Klamath Falls, Orgegon's Herald and News published an article entitled "Deed Scam Circulating," wherein the County Clerk advised "[National Record Service has] every right to provide that service, but it is a scam in the sense that you can get [a copy of your deed] locally for much less."

Aggravated customers have made 102 complaints on the National Record Service Better Business Bureau's page. While I have no personal knowledge of whether NRS provides satisfactory service once a customer orders a deed, it appears that some are either dissatisfied with the service, or frustrated that they paid more than necessary to obtain a copy of their deed.

In many counties in Ohio one can print a copy of their deed in only a few minutes by visiting the County Recorder's webpage online at no charge.  For example, here is the Franklin County Recorder's online public record search. In counties that don't have online access, a phone call to the County Recorder will tell you how much they would charge to send a copy, which is usually only a few dollars.

Alicia Bodine, a contributor on the Yahoo! Contributor Network, summed up this issue well in an article she titled "National Deed Service, Inc.: A Current Alert with the BBB" when she said "Bottom line is this: Don't pay hard-earned money for something you can easily get yourself."

Russell C. Golowin is an Elder Law and Estate Planning Attorney for families in the Columbus, Ohio area.  If you need assistance with creating a new quit claim deed, survivorship deed, or transfer on death affidavit, call (614) 453-5208 today. Visit his website for more information on real estate deeds in Columbus, Ohio.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Reporting Someone Who Should Not Be Driving A Car

How can I report someone who shouldn't be driving?

This is a common question asked by people with family or friends that have displayed diminished driving skills due to physical or mental impairment caused by advancing age, medical, or vision problems.

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) can require a driver licensed in Ohio to submit a medical statement and/or take an examination if they receive information that gives "good cause to believe" that the driver is incompetent or incapable of driving safely. 

To request that the BMV require a driver to be re-certified, submit a written and signed request to:

Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Attention: Driver License Special Case Section/Medical Unit.
P.O. Box 16784
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6784

The request may also be faxed attention to "Medical Unit" to (614) 752-7271. The letter should include a release allowing the BMV to use the your name as their source of information.

The BMV will conduct an investigation to determine if there is sufficient cause to require a medical statement or a driver license examination. If it finds sufficient cause, the BMV will advise the driver that they have received your request and take action.

For more information, visit the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Driver License FAQ page.

Taps Elder Law provides Estate and Medicaid planning services to clients in the Central Ohio area.  If you have a family member that is displaying diminished capacity, it is critical for them to update their financial power of attorney, will or trust, and health care documents.  Call us today at (614) 453-5208. Visit our website for more information on estate planning in Columbus, Ohio..