Search This Blog

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Where Can I Check Out My Financial Adviser?

Visit the Securities and Exchange Commission website to make sure that your financial adviser (or a potential advisor that you're interviewing) is on the "straight and narrow".

You can download the adviser's "form ADV" to find out if he or she has ever been disciplined by the SEC or another ageny, what type of misconduct was found, and the resolution. There is also information on the adviser's education and business. For Ohio-specific information, visit the Ohio Department of Commerce - Securities Division.

Be aware, however, that I am told only advisers that manage more than $25 million in assets must register with the S.E.C. This means that many advisers may not show up on this webpage, which does not necessarily mean that adviser is "good" or "bad".

I've had the good fortune of creating some good working relationships with advisers with many varied backgrounds. I find that they are often a valuable, even indispensable, part of creating the best plans for my clients. For more information about retirement planning with your IRA or 401(k), feel free to contact me today.

No comments: